Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The State of Our Unions


This may be a bit of a rant, but I don’t care…At. All. I am so incredibly sick of the state of black relationships conversation. One, I don’t believe there’s anything wrong with them that doesn’t cross color lines-at least not in such a generalized way that we should be singled out for being unable to form unions together. Two, it’s ridiculous to believe that the next dating book that comes out for us is going to somehow have all the answers. Look, Hill Harper, I appreciate you taking a stab at the topic, but quite honestly, I don’t believe you…you need more people. How on earth does Hill Harper have the answers to the holy grail of black relationships?

Furthermore, why does Steve Harvey think we should act like ladies, but think like men- as if he has the meaning to our personal lives hidden under his bushy mustache and bright orange suits.


I understand we’re all trying to make a buck- it’s the same in diet industry- every Tom, Dick, and Harry can come up with a plan that’ll ensure you to reach your birth weight in 30 days or less. We slap a shiny cover on it and put on the shelves at Barnes and Noble where it sells like fat-free hot cakes. But, me? I am not drinking the kool-aid. I think we are perfectly capable at having good relationships regardless of our race. It doesn’t mean I don’t think they have room for discussion-there is extreme relevance, but harp on anything too excessively and you wind up with a bunch of people who don’t care and we all know that when black people don’t care…we really don’t care. If you push to a place of indifference, you get no results, which is exactly what all these “why single people need help” authors are hoping to give you. Just let it be. It’s always been a bit harder for us, but if you give us time, we always get our proverbial shit together. And if not, we can always watch re-runs of The Cosby Show to figure it all out.



That bitch stole my line,


xoxo

Blackie Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment